Wednesday, October 3, 2012

SIDS Awareness Wednesday #1 : BeeBee Bows

I was thinking about this post this morning, what I should write about, how to set the mood of these posts, etc. I considered sharing statistics and sleep safety tips, but that's depressing, I don't want these posts to be depressing. I'd rather showcase people and charities that are doing great things in honor of Infant Loss Awareness Month. If you want statistics and ways to reduce the risk there are plenty of websites (www.sids.org, www.firstcandle.org) to name a few, but it makes me sad and I'm sick of being sad. I logged on to Facebook this morning and looked at a SIDS support page run by First Candle and saw a post by BeeBee Bows. It touched me, so I looked around on her Facebook page, messaged the owner Jillian, and hoped she wouldn't think I was insane. Jillian is a stay at home mom who just opened up her own shop making freaking adorable bows and accessories. She's doing a really wonderful thing in honor of Infant Loss Awareness Month, she made beautiful pink and blue bows, half the proceeds from the sale of these bows will be donated to the CJ Foundation for SIDS (http://www.cjsids.org/).
 I asked Jillian to tell me a little bit about why she is doing this and I thought she was even more wonderful, " A few of my friends have experienced the loss of an infant and one a toddler do to SIDS and SUDC. It hit close to home when I attended one of the baby's funeral last November. I don't think I've ever felt so empty inside and at a loss of what to say to the family. I grew up with them my whole life so to think it can't happen to you or someone you know definitely showed me I was naive." So many people don't seem to understand the loss, like my family and friends, but she realizes it and is doing something to help make sure no one else has to go through the pain of losing a child. BeeBee Bows has a Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Beebeebows/414772235226800) and an Etsy shop (http://www.etsy.com/shop/BeeBeeBows), see even when I'm not trying to be Etsy obsessed...
Check out BeeBee Bows, she has cute non-SIDS things too and she's awesome and deserves the support!


No comments:

Post a Comment