Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Never Forget

It's kind of surreal to think that the attacks on 9/11 happened 11 years ago. It doesn't seem that long but so much is different, so much has changed. I'm 22, I'm married, I had a child but I remember the day vividly, as most people remember watershed moments. I was in sixth grade, in business class, working with a few friends on our latest project; designing and marketing a new candy bar. There was an announcement over the loud speakers school-wide telling teachers to turn the TVs in the classrooms on. My classroom, that had been bubbling with conversation and activity moments before turned silent instantly. I immediately thought of my family members in New York and prayed they were unharmed. Every one's eyes were glued to the TV, watching with horror as the death count climbed, as more planes crashed. The bell rang to switch classes and the halls were much quieter than usual as I made my way to my next class, where the TV was still on. We continued watching the events unfold on the television screen, thoughts of biology and our quiz forgotten. Kids got picked up early by their parents, myself included. My dad picked me up and he had the job of trying to explain what had happened to me. The days and weeks that followed are a literal red, white, and blue blur; there were American pride days at school, patriotic merchandise in every store, the whole nation was brought together. I will never forget September 11, 2001 not just because of the tragedy of it, the huge loss of life but because it brought us all together. Race, age, political party, sexual orientation, none of that mattered; we were all effected, we were all scared, we were all hurt, but more importantly we all helped one another when we needed it most. My thoughts and prayers are with everyone effected by this tragedy today and everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment