Monday, September 24, 2012

Something Different... Blue and Gold Leopard Print Nails

When I was a teenager and before I met Tom, I spent $50 every two weeks getting my acrylic nails filled, polished, and topped with nail art. Then I became a grown up with bills, and $100 a month on nails was a habit that stopped. Instead I let my real nails grow and started doing my own nail art ... it's much cheaper, I still get compliments all the time, but now it's actually my own work.If you follow me on Twitter (@meghanmay928) or are friends with me on Facebook you know I do my nails frequently. I'd never attempted a leopard print before but it was pretty easy.

Remove any polish that may be on your nails. File and shape them the way you like. Apply base coat (I use Revlon ColorStay).


Step One: I applied one coat of the blue polish on my index and pinky nails of both hands, let it dry, and applied the second coat. The blue I used is Revlon ColorStay also, in Indigo Night.

Step Two: I painted the rest of my nails Bold Gold by Maybelline, it's a really pretty metallic gold. Same as with the blue, I did one coat, let dry, and did the second coat.
Step Three: I used a non-working ball point pen to make large, imperfect spots using the blue polish on my gold nails.

*A tip for first timers: Put a large drop of polish on the top of another nail polish bottle or paper plate and add drops as necessary when doing making dots or flowers.*

Step Four: Outline the spots! I used a toothpick and Sally Hansen's Hard as Nails in Black Heart, but you could use a tiny nail art brush or pen if you have one. I didn't outline all the spots and made the outline thicker, thinner and dragged it out a little in some places. It doesn't have to be perfect, it will look more natural if it isn't perfect.



Step Five: Remove any polish that found its way onto your skin. Apply a top coat, I used NYC Long Wearing Extra Shiny Top Coat.

No comments:

Post a Comment