Wednesday, July 4, 2012

How Can One Live Without The Son


I always imagined telling Ayden that the day he was born was the scariest day of my life. I was being induced, he was getting distressed, and I had to have an emergency C-section. My fiancĂ©, who is now my husband, was outside on the phone and I was getting quickly introduced to the doctor who’d be performing the surgery. I was shaking uncontrollably and all I could focus on was making sure I DID NOT get an epidural (yes, I had two tattoos, now three and I’m still terrified of needles). My mom made sure they understood this and I don’t think I’d ever been more grateful of her. My husband came in while I was about to be moved and I’m pretty sure he turned completely white when he saw seven people around me instead of just my midwife and my nurse. I got asked questions I cannot for the life me remember by the anesthesiologist, I somehow got myself on the operating table, the last thing I remember before waking up is my nurse holding my hand, telling me everything was going to be fine, that I’d wake up and see my son.


I slowly came out from under the anesthesia in the recovery room and heard nurse talking to my husband, giving him a lesson in feeding Ayden a bottle until I was conscious and could breastfeed. When I woke all the way up, I got moved back to my room and the rest of our hospital stay was uneventful, pretty good even. Aside from a little jaundice, our Ayden was perfect. He started trying to hold up his head at twelve hours hold, by his one month “birthday” he was scooting and holding himself up on his hands, and he started smiling a couple weeks before he was two months old. Ayden was adored and he was the center of our universe.


My husband found Ayden not breathing on November 28th, the day he turned two months old. I won’t go into all the details but Ayden was brought back, but with severe swelling in his brain. We spent five hellish days in the hospital while they ran tests and I’d fall apart at the sight or sound of a baby, which is hard to avoid in the PICU, because in my gut I knew what was going to happen. We had amazing support in the hospital from family and friends and after three nights of sleeping on the floor we were able to get a room at the Ronald McDonald House. We were given the worst possible news by the neurologist; our son was not coming back. We made the decision to take him off the ventilator and we also made arrangements for Ayden to be an organ donor. Once my husband’s brothers both got into town, it was time to let go. Everyone who wanted to, got to hold him, unfortunately for my husband’s family…this was the first time they’d seen him. Ayden got held by everyone who loved him most, his grandparents, great-grandparents, god parents, uncles, me and my husband was holding him when he passed away. He held on for eight hours and then became an angel.

We’ll never have answers and that’s one of the hardest things. We don’t know why this happened to our angel. We’ll always be plagued with horrible memories we would rather forget, while we try desperately to hold on to the good. We also recently decided to try to pregnant, which comes with a whole other range of emotions…but we’ll talk about this later.

Anyway I just wanted to share a little about Ayden and my SIDS experience. My heart breaks for you if you have also had a SIDS experience and I hope you know you are not alone!


~* Ayden, our panda bear, our angel, you are truly missed each and every day and loved until the end of time*~

No comments:

Post a Comment